About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Friday, February 10, 2012

11/30/11 Heart: love and sacrifice


I had a conversation with a friend then read another of my ‘devo’s’ and then God put it together for me.
I’ll put them together for you here, and what He said to me through it at the bottom....

Sent to RH this morning: 
I've written to RH before, followed this ministry with a heart full of hope.  Finally, freedom and love as He presented it.  On my way to work this morning I was thinking of the crowds that followed Jesus.  They didn't get it.  They followed Him for what He could give them, healing, food, etc.  And of course they would.  But how many of them followed Him for His heart?  How many truly desired to know Him and love Him for who He is?  It occurred to me that we've been doing the exact same thing, only we've put 'salvation' on the same level as the gifts of healing and food by 'worshiping' Him for His gift of salvation.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  How we are still worshiping the gift rather than the giver in this.  My Jesus is more than a sacrifice for my sins.  That is only one of the gifts He has given me.  It's a huge gift, but it is not who He is.  And I think of His heart and what He has felt from the generations of people who are still not seeking the truth, His heart, who He really is.  How it must break for His desire is not just to be our Savior.  His desire is to have our hearts.  And once again we're the Pharisees rather than true disciples and friends.  Much less the lovers that He desires. I repent for worshiping the gift rather than the giver, yet again.  But I think that this too is a process, growing to see Him through His gifts, realization that there is a reason, that the heart behind those gifts is drawing drawing drawing us closer to His purpose. 
Thank you for the eye opening revelations into His heart.  I cannot express how much my life has been impacted.  I look and pretty much act the same.  But my heart is forever changed as I open more and more of it to Him and allow His love to penetrate into its depths.
I am so unbelievably blessed to be here, in this place of my heart, finally after a lifetime of looking for love.
Jeanne Robinson
Yours in His love.


Conversation after that was sent:
isn't it interesting that the whole world is operating on the premise that knowledge will make everything better
as if that first bite in the garden was good and right
we have not learned our lesson yet
yes, exactly. His momma knew who he was
yes she did
and His friends
now, there are a few of us as well
I don't know why Mary has been on my mind so much lately, except that I feel hers was such a huge sacrifice ... almost as important as His. To know who your child is, what his purpose is ... to let him go ...
so very hard
yes
it is so very true that to see our children suffer is far worse than suffering ourselves
yet
she knew
yes
He was eternal life
I understand now why she is revered, ya know?
yes
and it wasn't because she was chosen to carry him
right
it was because she knew who He was
she was strong
she had to be
yes
she did not know the specifics or how much pain it would cause her, the hard choices she would have to make, yet she humbled herself to His will
women's strength is something else
yep. she understood True Love.
and we share that insight
we see ramifications of situations without thinking
we know that there is a cost to our hearts
yet for the greater good we give
we give in and allow the pain
and we pay that price
watching something on TV last nite was like a brighter light going off
I saw a woman's strength
I saw it
it is a deep stab to our heart, the nurturing loving part of us, to allow pain to those we love, knowing it is for the best,
is so much more painful than they can ever know
until one day they have the same choice to make
and we carry those scars, as evidence of the greater love we have for them
that choice, given our hearts for relationship, was so great
I see Mary as God's perfection of Eve. How Eve was intended to be.
I can see that
She trusted Him, totally.
Yes, and in a world that she would most certainly be killed for being pregnant unmarried was so much more than we - now days - can fathom....
maybe in the middle east it is easier to see
yep. strong.
Chosen.
it was - I don't think - a simple obedience on her part
there was more behind it than that
she had real love for God
ya know?
oh yes.
otherwise she could never have agreed
He seeks those whose hearts are His
to do His will
and we must love Him enough to make those decisions based on our understanding of His love for us
to rise up each day with Thank You Lord on your lips, and a poised sword in your hand
yes
and along with that sword, a heart bare and open
like walking around naked
heck no!
that's it
no one wants to be exposed
well, maybe to Him, but I wear a breastplate
yes, to Him
that's what I mean
and also to other people
if we hide our hearts, how can they see Him in us?
ya know?
the pain of exposure, unsure of the outcome of being exposed, fear could be so overwhelming
through our eyes we reflect love and compassion
those in need will SEE
with open hearts
it is the heart
that is the key
oh yes.
the key to the kingdom of Heaven
thinking about my mom
how
in order to reach her I must open my heart up to possibly painful things
allow her to see me as I truly am
surely she can see the changes in you, Jeanne ...
in such a short time
idk
idk if she is looking
your "need" to have a helpmate ... has been replaced with calm assurance that you DO have a helpmate ... the greatest and most desirable husband EVER
great love requires great expression
sacrifice, the sacrifice of allowing my heart to be open
yes
you're so funny
women are not the ones that need, or even desire a helpmate.  hahaha. 
we in our deepest heart want to be that helpmate.  but it's not the right translation. 
I was thinking about Nuns. I know that's extreme, but it's kinda how I feel.
yes a Nun
bride of Christ
yes
a good thought
but a bit off track
and yet, not
you know that the word that has been translated into 'helpmate' is the word for the Holy Spirit
yes!
and it's used in the sense of someone that is needed in the life and death circumstances of life
the 'rescuer' would be a better word
as I think of man
and what his need is
it is for a rescuer/nurturer
someone to bring life
someone to make life have depth
who is strong enough to be vulnerable
allow her heart to be open
that is true strength
that is the 'submission' that they mean I think
it has everything to do with the heart
funny that now the bible and everything in it I’m seeing through the lens of the heart
inside to out
everything is a reflection, derivation, result of the heart and where it is
so much...
being taught to be tough, bury my heart, rule, don't give in
just the opposite of the way it should be
we've messed it up since the beginning
the toughness comes from knowing – it’s a heart exposed and open in spite of the pain that is absolutely sure to be there


Devo read after conversation:
Wrestling the tree    

November 30, 2011
   

I do the same thing every year. Envisioning a tall, sturdy, fresh-smelling fir tucked in the corner of my living room, I do serious recon on where the most reasonably-priced, healthy specimen can be found, and make the annual expedition to the tree lot. Then, after looking at and handling no less than a dozen viable candidates, I select one tree to take home with me. I choose a lot that will trim the trunk, hoist it to the top of my car and tie it down, but after that it's a do-it-yourself deal all the way home and beyond. 

At some point every year I also acknowledge this universal truth: setting up a Christmas tree is no one-man (or in my case, one-woman) job.  

I could ask for help. But there's something about the maddening, me-and-the-tree duel that suckers me in almost every time. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to out-wit, out-maneuver and out-muscle the process and the tree, whose size I almost always regret as soon as I've gotten it home. (A Charlie Brown "sympathy tree picker" I am most decidedly not.)  

Along the way, I've learned a few tree-toting lessons that have proved helpful. Rolling the tree off your car from the side is far safer than grasping the base of the trunk and pulling it toward you. (Don't ask.) Putting the stand on the tree while it's horizontal is infinitely easier than placing the tree in the stand while you're trying at the same time to keep it vertical. And, a kind of "walking hug" is the safest (albeit most awkward) way of getting said tree through whatever doorway you've selected as your initial point of entry.  

I wrestle a Christmas tree only once a year. But it's really about  me-and-the-tree all year long. The tree I wrestle daily is my own cross, which I've been commanded to take up and carry with me, welcoming every opportunity to climb upon it often and allow myself, my wants, and my will to die.  

The cross is a tree I both love and struggle against. I love its complex beauty, and I struggle against its simple invitation. I love its power, and struggle against its authority. I love its mercy, and struggle against its grace. It's not easy, this wrestling with the tree. Dietrich Bonheoffer once said "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." And why shouldn't He ask it of me? He's already done that very thing Himself.
 
I may resist much-needed help with my Christmas tree. But I'd be a fool to resist much-needed help with my cross. (Even Jesus had help to carry His.) And thankfully - when I've overestimated my own ability or strength or resolve, or when the whole cross-carrying process has left me exhausted and scraped up and scarred, the One who's gone before me sees my struggle, and says with patience and with aching empathy, "Lovely, lovely tree. But it's quite big, and you're so small. Will you let Me help you with that?"
  
I will. Oh yes, I will. 
 
"He forgave us all our sins, having cancelled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." (Colossians 2:14-15, NIV)
[Wednesday words from Leigh ©Leigh McLeroy, 2011]


The light bulb came on:
How funny – the way that the Holy Spirit directs our thoughts and leads us into truth.
Taking up my cross, laying aside myself.  I used to think of that as a sacrifice that called for me to stop being who I am.  Kind of like becoming a zombie or puppet for Jesus.  Deny all that He has made me, and become an ‘imitator’ of Christ meant to stop being me and become Him somehow.  (never could figure out how that could be done)
But  today I realize that as a woman (cause I don’t know how as a man this works) – but as a woman, my strength comes from my heart. 
Love gives me the strength to allow pain in and allow myself to be exposed because of the greater love that comes from it. 
And to take up my cross, means to open my heart – to be vulnerable to what will surely happen as a person who loves in spite of the danger of the resulting fear, mistrust, anger, and potential rejection.  As a woman, relationship means more than everything else, and to risk the hurt or loss of a relationship with anyone is to risk the ultimate. 
So opening my heart – exposing my deepest desires and needs and even joys – opens a door to allow for pain. 
But it also opens the door for others to see the real reason for His sacrifice.  It opens the heart of Him through me.  It is the ultimate love, as a mother, a daughter, as a friend, allowing another’s heart to see mine so as to share completely. 
That is the cross I must carry, the sacrifice is laying down the desire to ‘protect’ my heart from pain and rejection, to allow exposure in the depths of who I am.

And they were naked and unashamed.
That is how we were meant to be.

If I know His heart, His intent, His depth of love for me, it is not so much a sacrifice or even obedience, but an honest reaction to Him.

Blessings,
Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment