About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Monday, February 13, 2012

1/11/07 Jesus Freaks


OK So here I am going along in life minding my own business (and occasionally, alright usually other's business as well) and I am accosted by these 'Jesus Freaks' at Knots Berry Farm (so CA).  This is weird I think.  They want to pray with me and 'lead me to Jesus'.  Having been raised in a RLDS (sort of Mormon) church I had never heard of such a thing.  These people are definitely hippies, (used to that), and very nice (flower children), but persistent and excited to talk to me.  Weird!  So I want to get rid of them as quickly as possible (making a scene and all) so I say ok I'll let you pray with me (it was obvious that this was the only way to get back to what I was doing, or not doing, whatever).  So with one eye open to keep tabs on these weirdo's I bow my head and repeat after them a simple prayer to ask Jesus to come into my heart. 
OK So they leave and that is that.   I figure no harm no foul and go ahead with my life. 
Next thing I know there is this fabulously gorgeous man in my drama class at college who asks me if I want to go to a concert.  I am taking classes just because, not seriously wanting to be educated at this point in my life, so I am all about meeting gorgeous Arabic men especially if they want to take me somewhere.  I am thinking, who are we going to see?  Crosby Stills Nash & Young, maybe the Eagles, or America?  Wow that is so cool!  But no, we go to a church in Costa Mesa CA., which is a little bit of a drive from Long Beach where I lived.  But no biggie I am digging this guy and he is real nice to look at!  Delicious! 
Have you ever met a Jesus Freak?  They seem normal enough at first.  Especially in so CA where everyone is weird.  BUT!!! The next thing you know with these people is that they are fanatical about Jesus!  It is insane!  Nothing else to talk about that does not involve Him.  No cursing, no swearing, no gossip, what is this?  Can't you people keep your religious ideas in the right box?
Oh definitely not.  Come to find out Mark (the gorgeous Arab, actually Lebanese) is one too.  What's going on here?  Is it an invasion?  Where did these guys come from?  Well lets investigate.  (He was too cute to lose just yet)  So here is this enormous church that holds about 5000 people (I kid you not!) filled to the rafters with young people of all persuasions, hippies, yuppies, bikers, low riders, rah-rah types, jocks, all kinds!  Crammed into this huge auditorium of a church and off in the distance I can see a platform with band equipment and people getting stuff ready for the 'concert'.  It was really amazing to me.  I had never seen more than 25 people in church at one time and they were all old and blubbery and stiff necked and tighter than a pucker after grapefruit!  Astounding.  What is this?  Well I am thinking 'They are gonna sing Amazing Grace, and I'll Fly Away, and The Old Old Path.' this is going to really be a ho-hum but I am here so I'll check it out.  
Well the music starts and all 'heaven' breaks loose with all of these people.  WOW Rock and Roll Jesus music!!!  WHAT IS THIS?????  The expression Rock The House had not been coined yet but it should have been here.  No one was in their seat and just like every other concert I had been to it was excitement and electric charged enthusiasm filled.  There was a difference though.  I get the whole 'lets get together and hang and sing and have a good time thing', and the 'everyone come on and join in' thing, and the 'yeah, we're with ya' thing, but this was on a whole new level.  EVERYONE was 'together' like I had never been a part of before.  All these young people of different kinds were singing with the band and laughing and crying and smiling and jumping up and down and clapping and participating in this experience like it's a family party and the favorite son has returned from a long separation.  I was in awe.  These people were indeed 'Jesus Freaks' and their theme was Maranatha. (The Lord cometh or something like that)   Ok I'm like, they don't do drugs, they do Jesus.  I'm ok with that.  It's not my thing but cool, we are all about the 'let it be' culture out here.  The thing is that these people were happy, really happy.  I don't think I had ever seen this before. 
Even thinking back on it now I am astounded.  That was something to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment