About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

04/21/11 Jesus asleep in the boat


Jesus is asleep in the boat.
There is a horrific storm and everyone is in fear of their lives.
They are incredulous that He is not taking care of the problem.

It occurs to me that this is a supreme metaphore for the way we live.
Jesus is in our hearts.
He’s right there.
We’re just going through life.  Pretty much ignoring Him as he sits quietly waiting for us to spend time with Him.
Instead we go about doing things..  all the things that we’re ‘supposed’ to be doing.
And indeed these are good things.
But we are not content, not deep down inside where we have hidden our ‘real’ feelings and thoughts.
And we wonder where the advertised ‘power’ from the ‘helper’ is.

Be honest.  This is our life, isn’t it?
How many people do you know, Christian people, that truly live the way life was described in Acts 2?
Are your church friends as close as a brother?
Do you love like that?
No, me either.
But shhhhhhh  don’t tell, don’t say it out loud.
The unspoken rule is that you must not say or even think that this is not ‘it’.
You must be flawed... 
And Jesus sleeps on the boat.
He’s grown weary in waiting for our fellowship.
There He is in our hearts just as we left him.
Invited in, welcomed, even celebrated. 
But eventually we have become distracted with rowing the boat.
And so He sleeps.

And comes the storm.
It takes us by surprise because, we’ve been ‘doing’ all the right things.
We’re seasoned sailors and we know the sea.

Look at what is going on.  He is asleep and we’re working working working to try and make it through the storm.
Finally.  Finally someone says, go get Jesus!

Ya think maybe there’s a point to this?
Yes there is.
Until we spend time with Him, learn that He is trustworthy, and stop ‘doing’ life, we’ll just be stuck and Jesus will just find a corner to take a nap.
He’s there – but we’re not.
He’s there.

No comments:

Post a Comment