About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Monday, March 26, 2012

3/26/12 I wonder


Getting ready for work this morning and the radio is playing some music.
It sounds so painful and mournful to my heart
Something about following Jesus no matter what
At least that was the essence I was hearing.
And driving in I thought about how this must make him feel
That a person would give up their life for Jesus is kind of tricky
Because on the one hand it's pure devotion that Jesus wants from us and when it's given I'm sure that his heart is full of joy
But on the other hand to say that I give up my life and feel as though I'm leaving what I really desire behind, giving up what really matters to me, sacrificing like that - I think it would be very hurtful.

Anyone that gives out of love knows the joy that comes from it
From being able to see the joy it brings to the other
But giving out of obligation or even worse; fear, finds no joy or comfort.  It only feels like loss
And unless the recipient of that kind of giving is cold hearted there is no comfort or joy in it.

So as I pondered this song, and the things Jesus said, unless you're willing to give up your family, your very life, then don't bother. (My paraphrase)  I see his point. One must love him enough to give up everything - pure devotion - for it to be the kind of love he is asking of us.  But not because we have to.  God - Jesus does not desire a relationship with robots, automatons that are simply obedient.  He desires a real relationship as an equal in the way we relate.  We're not equals, never will be.....   But what some would call love, the kind that is required, demanded, and given out of obligation, is not love at all.

And I wonder how he feels when we sing so mournfully about our relationship with him.  Would a lover enjoy this?  I think not.
I think Jesus - God desires our pure love, given freely without pressure, without constraint, without regret.



No comments:

Post a Comment