About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

3/13/12 J.E. RHM devo and my comments.


A Part Too Large
The things that have happened to us often suggest that the real script of the play we're all living in is "God is indifferent" rather than "God is love." Deep down in our hearts, in the place where the story is formed, this experience of God as indifferent drives us to write our own scripts. Job apparently lived with this anxiety about God even before his tribulations descended upon him, as evidenced by his exclamation from the ashes of his home and his life: "What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me" (Job 3:25, emphasis added).

Job was a God-fearing man and yet something in him suspected that faith in God did not necessarily translate into peace and safety. Of course, Job had no inkling of the discussion going on in heaven between God and Satan. It was a debate over whether the foundation of God's kingdom was based on genuine love or power. And astonishingly, God was placing the perception of his own integrity as well as the reputation of his whole kingdom on the genuineness of Job's heart. (See Job 1:6-12; 2:1-10.)

Indeed, when we consider how central a part Job was given in the drama God was directing, we are confronted with the reality that we, too, could be in the same position. It seems that the part God has written for us is much too big and certainly too dangerous. Paul confirms this thought in Ephesians when he tells us, "The church, you see, is not peripheral to the world; the world is peripheral to the church. The church is Christ's body, in which he speaks and acts, by which he fills everything with his presence" (1:22-23 The Message). Every human being is of great significance to God, but those whom God has drawn to believe in him are center stage in a drama of cosmic proportions.

(The Sacred Romance , 50, 53)

(http://www.ransomedheart.com/node/160 )

How many of us are really honest with this question that Job obviously had about God?
I know that down in the depth of my heart that I feared God was not everything that he'd been presented to me as.  I mean, too many 'bad' things had happened to me in my life to believe that I was truly loved.  And I too feared that faith in God did not translate into peace and safety.  My life has been fraught with deeply damaging hurts.  I did not want to feel anything if this was all that he had to offer.  I wanted to kill my heart.
But beneath that fear was still a heart that yearned for love and it would not let me abandon that desire no matter how deeply I tried to bury it.  So I sought truth.  Truth about myself and truth about this God.
Actually when he caught up with me, I was still running, trying to hide that fear, busy with my task of destroying the desire within me.

It's difficult to transition from this concept - which depicts a far off God who sits in judgement of all us sinners doling out penance for these sins - into the relationship that I now have with him.
I suspect that a lot led up to my readiness to accept the revelations that J.E. writes about.  But his writings were the key.  They were the answer to questions that I was not consciously aware I even had.

..as a side note.  my apology for a constant stream of 'deep thought' here.  I cannot help but express it.  but the apology is not that it's addressed, just that there seems to be so much.
anyway....

"Job was a God-fearing man and yet something in him suspected that faith in God did not necessarily translate into peace and safety."

I think that mainstream religion lives there.  They don't want to admit it.  But that's what drives their 'sin management' philosophy.  Their only commandment seems to be "You must be good enough" even if it's veiled behind church speak that offers grace by forgiveness of sins.  It was not enough to just have grace.  They had to make it conditional even though they said otherwise.  No freedom available in that scenario.
What's worse is that they actually use the book of Job to demonstrate this viewpoint which is just the opposite of what it's intent is!  Aggravating to say the least.

Jesus came to proclaim good news to the poor, freedom to the prisoners, give sight to the blind, set the captives free, and proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, as he said quoting Isaiah 61, in Luke 4:16-21.
I also note that he never never said he came to condemn sinners.  He was most compassionate to those who were aware of their faults and he forgave them. Yet he was always warning and railing against the religious people who put into captivity those to whom they were supposed to be teaching about who God is.

Jesus' most controversial claim was that he was God in the flesh sent here to show us exactly who God is.
So! a clue!!  This is most helpful.  Jesus - love in action, visible for everyone to see, a touchable person to relate to.  Yes, most helpful.  We have but to get to know the real Jesus to see God.  Mind you, get to know him without all the religious trappings that have been hung on his name throughout the years.  Jesus is still controversial, irreverent, rebellious, outrageous, fun, tangible, strong, intent, decisive, intentional, and present.   This along with the patience kindness concern tenderness and obvious love of people that he is known for.
Like J.E.'s title for him, he is a Beautiful Outlaw.

As for me being in God's drama, well, that's pretty heady.  It does however relieve the pressure for me in my thinking that it's all up to me to make life happen.  In fact it releases me into the freedom of knowing I'm not in charge.  I can relax and be who I'm meant to be.

I see Jesus, know him to be love.  God is love.. 1John 4:8 he that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love... (I like the KJV for that verse) and 1John 4:16 God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

I don't know about you, but I know that love is not waiting to smack me around for doing something wrong.  Love teaches for sure, but in kindness and patience and understanding.  But love also goes to any length to express itself.  God desires more than any thing else to be connected with us.  Whatever drama must unfold in our lives to get us to him, he will allow.  He is indeed a wild lover...  Just ask Job... Job did not know God's heart.  But he does now.

Jesus went through a lot to take down the veil between us and God.  Why oh why do we insist on putting it back up?  The entire book of Job tells about God.  It was not an exercise of him saying how great he is, which goes without saying actually.  It's him trying to say to Job, "hey, this is who I am, you don't know me at all if all you think of me is that I'm not trustworthy. Can't you see my heart?  All you have to do is look at creation and you'll get it!"  I think it a great insult to our Father in heaven to believe his motives are anything less than the best for us.

I did myself a huge favor.  I threw out religion and the prison of trying to be good enough.  I embraced the desire to find love in my heart and sought truth.  I abandon, willfully, the mirage of control over my life.  I gladly accept the love offered by the only one who really wants the best for me, and would go to any length to get it.  I have not 'arrived' yet, but this path I'm on, it's the way.  The Truth.  The Life.  In spite of myself.









No comments:

Post a Comment