About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012


The holiday season is sometimes overwhelming.  It’s kind of like a punch to the gut then a knockout slam to the jaw, then when you’re down for the count pow! - a kick to the groin.  And the fact that it comes around seemingly faster and faster every year, sneaking up on me out of nowhere, well that does not help. 

This year we have a new baby coming into our family and he is due around the same time.  Add in several birthdays and there it is, overwhelming. 

I’m exhausted after several birthday parties, and showers, and am not really looking forward to Thanks Giving or Christmas celebrations. 

I understand how people get to the point of wanting to just hide, keep out of the maelstrom of shopping frenzies and that commercial vacuum that is pulling at us, sucking us dry of energy emotion and cash.  I don’t even want to get started on money here.  But I see no reason to purchase gifts for the myriad of people on lists who may or may not desire or need anything that my thinly stretched dollars could afford for them.

I watched “Little House on the Prairie” last night – the episode was a Christmas one.  How refreshing to see a demonstration of love and sacrifice this family displayed for one another.  It was simpler and more pure somehow.  Yet still there was a sense of driven-ness that put me off somewhat. 

I wish that gift giving could be simply from the heart. 

I’d like to pare back on the number on the list.

I’d like to focus on those special ones and make a difference in their lives.

I do not need anything myself.  If I could send out a message to everyone it would be to just remember me with a prayer and a smile and perhaps a card to let me know I’m thought of.  If I could suggest finding a child in need and supplying something that would make a difference in their lives rather than a gift for me.  And by all means do not go into debt to purchase anything. 

My Hope, my Love is Jesus, and those precious souls that He has brought into my life.

Rather than running around and wearing myself out this year for the holidays may I simply say to all of you – I love you, you matter to me, I am praying for you and remembering you with fond memories and wishes for blessings in your lives.

One more thing…..  Happy birthday Jesus, and many happy returns.



No comments:

Post a Comment