About Me

My photo
Hi I am a Christian, a nurse, the mother of two grown children and two grand daughters, one grandson, and 3 dogs. I love people and have a huge heart. So why am I blogging? Well I've been told that I need to publish my writings. This seemed to be the easiest way to do that. Also, I want to get out there and live life to the fullest. Empty nests are great because now I get to explore the world. I'm starting right here on my computer. So come along with me and as I learn to fly we'll soar together!

Friday, April 27, 2012

04/27/12 Freedom


Freedom – it’s a funny thing. 

We all claim that we want it and we work hard to get it, but when we have it we almost always, almost immediately, give it away.

Freedom is a spiritual word.

It evokes awe in one’s spirit, and desire, and yearning for something intangible and nearly unexplainable.  I’m thinking of the scene in Brave Heart where William Wallace bellows “FREEDOM” and our hearts swell with longing and agreement and we all have a sense of some higher purpose more Nobel than the daily life we all live.  We all want that.  We all feel as though it is supposed to be.  We all cheer for those who pursue it and fight for it.

I think however that most of us are resigned to live life as it is.  We see it honestly as lacking freedom – most of us.  We feel stuck and in a rut and as though someone else was in control.   We do not have a sense of adventure, or Nobility, or higher purpose in our lives at all.  We simply exist.  I think that most of us are simply going through the motions of life and have no direction or outlet for our desires.  So we squelch them.  We bury them in a vault in our hearts never to be opened because somehow we know that they can never be realized.  We have settled.  We have turned our backs on freedom because we do not believe we have control of our circumstances.

Freedom from responsibility is slavery.

For instance, I choose to eat much more than my body requires for nourishment to function.  I also choose to spend only what money is required to sustain the lifestyle I have.  And on occasion I indulge in some little extra fancy.   But these are choices I make.  I am not held at gunpoint at any juncture to require my choices to be made against my own will.  The decisions I make are based on my own level of comfort with how I am going to be perceived, balanced with physical comfort and desires.  I must work in order to have money to have food and clothing and housing.  I don’t like work but I choose to do it for what I want it to give me. 
Freedom from anything can be something far less than glorious.  It can be dangerous.  Everything has a price.

I chose to indulge in excess food and the price I’ve paid is slavery to it.  My mouth thinks it can have anything it wants.  I’ve been a slave to my desire for food.   If I choose to walk away from my responsibility – work, paying bills, functioning within the rules – I end up eventually with nothing – which puts me in slavery of a different kind.  If I choose indulgence I will pay the price, one way or another.
Freedom does not equal to control.

You see – in truth – in the end – everyone does what they want.  Oh sure we have constraints on us and the framework of our lives that we must work within.  But in the end we all do exactly as we choose.  We all – most certainly – have freedom.

Freedom is a gift and a responsibility.

When I think of the freedom that God gave me:  Freedom of choice, to choose Him or not to choose Him; I am amazed at His ability to risk.   And I am also astonished that He has not annihilated us for the choices that we’ve made because of it.

This is what He is saying to us:
Here is my heart.  You can choose to accept it and give your heart to me in return.  Or you can choose to reject it and murder my love because you do not trust it.  But even if you do that I will still pursue you with an everlasting love that will never give up on you.  I will love you till the end of the earth and beyond.  I will follow you even into Hell itself to get you back if I must.  I will lay down my life for you.  I will do whatever it takes for you to be Mine again.     
I have given you freedom.  It has come back to bite me, as I knew it would.  But it was worth the risk.  Because when you choose to love me freely then I truly have your heart.  And that is worth everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment